We are currently seeking expressions of interest from writers, for the forthcoming Undad Anthology (working title).
More than just another zombie story, the Undad series is about the challenges of being a husband/father while being (literally) dead inside. So far, nine chapters of the series have been produced across two volumes. The forthcoming Undad project will add (at least) another five chapters to this total.
The original “Undad” miniseries was written entirely by me, partly to chronicle my personal experience grappling with depression as a parent, the difficulty I faced in asking for help from those closest to me, and the ways that this fractured and divided my most important relationships. But depression – and mental illness in general – takes many forms, and my story is just one among millions. I want to hear your story, as told through the genre filter of a zombie-family-drama.
We’ve received a grant from artsACT, and we’ll be using it to hire writers in the comics industry to bring the story of undead family man Brett Buckley to (un)life in their own style.
I encourage you to download these PDFs of Volumes One and Two of Undad. These will demonstrate the tone and feel and rules of the universe, and give you some context in which you can situate your story concepts.
If your application is successful:
- You’ll be hired on a work-for-hire basis, and paid a flat page rate of $40AUD per scripted page (approx $30USD).
- You’ll be engaged to produce a script at some point between March and June of 2019 (exact dates TBD).
- You’ll be contracted to produce a story of no more than forty pages, though pitches for shorter stories will be considered.
- The format of the book will be square, with either one or four panels per page, as per the format of the existing volumes.
How to apply
If you’re reasonably confident about your availability and accept the quoted page rate, please read through Undad Volume One and Two (linked above) and send a short story proposal email@example.com.
Story proposals should include:
- A short summary of the events of the story, including where they fit in the Undad timeline. No more than two paragraphs.
- A short exploration of the themes and ideas underpinning this story proposal. What are you trying to say with it?
Shane W Smith will review all submissions and respond individually to each one. You may be offered the opportunity to resubmit based on suggested edits, and you may choose to do so.
Based on the strength of your proposal, you may be offered a work-for-hire contract to work on the Undad anthology. This contract will outline payment schedules, timeframes, and all relevant copyright information.
I am on hand to answer any questions you might have about this anthology or this opportunity. firstname.lastname@example.org